Clever Raven Aboriginal Head Start
We are excited to be servicing the Comox valley and bringing our expertise to the community. Our staff is ECE certified and ready to learn along with you, our children and families. We follow the core principles of the Head Start program (see below). We are working closely with the Head Start team to implement a program strong in cultural values and experiences. Our curriculum will be relevant, emergent, and focus on growing the language and skills of our children. Thank you for teaming up for this journey.
Head Start Core Concepts
As a Head Start daycare, our primary focus is on the 6 Core principles.
• Culture and Language- The program will work on building a child’s sense of themselves as an Aboriginal child by providing cultural values and beliefs to all aspects of daily programming.
• Education- At Head Start, we support the encouragement for lifelong learning with a focus on early childhood development to support physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual and social development.
• Health Promotion- Specialists will be available throughout the year to assist in medical, dental, vision, hearing, and other therapies, as well as promoting healthy lifestyles through games and activities
• Nutrition- Snacks and Lunches are provided by our staff and chef on duty. Teaching healthy choices and honoring traditional foods is an essential core concept.
• Social Support- We help families grow the awareness of support and assistance and programs provided both in house and in the community.
• Parental and Family Involvement- We support the families as the primary “teachers” of their children through collaborations with our families to create meaningful experiences in planning, development, operation and evaluation of the program. We encourage parent participation and extend invitations and opportunities for elders, cultural teachers and traditional people.
We will implement these in our daily classrooms and through special events throughout the year. Families are invited to spend time with our elders and
My name is Barbara. I am looking forward to partnering up with the amazing people of the Comox Valley. After almost 20 years of working with children and families, I have decided to take on the role of the manager in the new Aboriginal Head Start program. My years of working in clinics, assessments and as an early childhood educator has prepped me to take on this new role. I am ready to learn. In my spare time, I love going outdoors, hiking and swimming, or spending time reading a book and cuddling with my cat at home.
My name is Megan. As a recent graduate of the ECCE certificate program at North Island College, I have been working as an Early Childhood Educator in an early years program for just over a year now. I am currently in my second year of the ECCE Diploma program at NIC and will graduate in 2021 with my Infant/Toddler and Special Needs certifications. I am passionate about play-based learning, learning through nature, and believe in following the childrens' lead when it comes to curriculum planning. Outside of my professional life, I'm an avid reader, hiker, and fitness enthusiast.
My name is Sharon. I’ve worked in the Comox Valley in an Early Childhood Learning setting for over 11 years. After living on the east coast for 3 years, I’m very grateful to be back on the island where the peaceful mountains, beautiful forests, and calm waters make me feel at home. I like strolling in the woods with my dog when I am not working. I am excited to be part of the team at Wachiay Friendship Centre Society (Aboriginal Head Start Program). I think it will be so rewarding to see children gain new skills, grow, and become confident in a nurturing environment.
Early childhood education is a partnership between children, parents, and the educator. We collaborate on ideas to build a scaffold of support that aid in a child's development. I enjoy the process of learning with children (I am always learning too!). Together we can learn, grow, and dream!
My name is Brittany. I am new to the island, as I just moved here from Ontario at the beginning of the year. I am an Early Childhood Educator with 5 years of experience working in the wonderful field of childcare. As well, I have my Special Needs and Infant/Toddler Certifications. I believe in child-directed play and learning, and I am passionate about nature-based education. I believe we as educators are here to support the children and families in their growth and adventure in life. When I am not at work I enjoy exploring the beautiful sites of the island with my husband and dog or reading.
My name is Angela. Being outdoors and enjoying nature is my happy place! My husband Adam and I love and respect animals and have dogs, rabbits, chickens, and ducks. We love to get out camping year-round, and like being active. I love making music, reading, being by the ocean, and being creative. My passion has always been caring for little ones, and I am blessed to have been able to work with children for many years in different capacities. I grew up here in the Comox Valley, then moved to the mainland for several years where I completed my psychology degree as well as my ECE certificate. I am currently upgrading my Infant/Toddler certification at North Island College, and have been working with the infant and toddler age groups specifically over the last couple of years. I am so excited to be a part of the Aboriginal Head Start program!
My name is Courtenay. I have always had a passion for working with young children and their families. I have been an Early Childhood Educator for 9 years and I am currently working on getting my Infant and Toddler Diploma. I have lived here in the Comox Valley for most of my life. I have two young children. We spend our free time exploring our beautiful island. We like to go camping, take small hikes, and swimming anywhere we can. I am very excited to be a part of the new AHS Daycare and look forward to becoming more involved in our community.
My name is Lisa. I love reading with children as well as doing felt stories. I enjoy doing art activities and messy play with the children. In my spare time, I love to read, do cross stitch and spend time with my husband and our two German Shepherds.